We all spent the morning with him Friday (26th), he was taken into surgery @ 7:30 am... we hugged him, kissed him, etc..... surgery went well & circulation started perfectly...Hallelujah !! Unfortunately around 4 pm that afternoon, his poor heart couldn't handle the "extra blood flow" and it stopped. I'm crying writing this bc we were all so optimistic that he was going to be A ok after he made it through that long (4 hour ) surgery. We all waited frantically by the phone for hourly updates from the nurse in the OR.
God had bigger plans. My gdaddy went to heaven BUT... he is pain free and has full circulation now. (which was our wish all along) We certainly miss him terribly.
My grandparents have been married 66 years. My grandmother was absolutely LOST without him at home. During the week my granddaddy was @ St Dominic, she stayed with Nic and I. During the day, we would stay at the hospital (he mostly slept) and I would take her out for lunch or to run and errand to try and get her worrying mind off of everything.
We had makeovers @ LancĂ´me one day. (something I never thought I would get her to do!)
Saturday morning after my grandmother, dad and his brothers met w/ the funeral home, they asked that I write the obituary. I was terrified. But also honored. What an honor to be asked to write such an important article that EVERYONE in the town gets to read. After all, I felt like I knew more about my granddaddy than a Vicksburg post employee...
I spent 3 hours (and shed LOTS of tears) working on it. I sent it in by 3:30 pm (deadline was 4:30) The funeral home said they would add the "extras".
Woke up Sunday morning to find that THEY DID NOT USE MY OBITUARY. I was heart broken.
Nothing fancy but here is what I wrote...
My granddaddy was ONE OF A KIND. I literally have NEVER seen him mad or upset. He taught us to "turn the other cheek" and that's exactly how he lived. Always complimenting us, telling us how proud he was of all of us, telling us how much he loved us...I know without a doubt, THERE IS NOT ANOTHER MAN LIKE HIM.
I was very close with him so I have 100's of pictures that I'll cherish FOREVER. We shared a birthday celebration every year. My birthday is Nov 6th, his is Nov 9th. I have tons of pictures of us sharing and blowing out candles on a birthday cake. I'll definitely miss celebrating WITH him but I'll always celebrate him!
Wednesday, Feb 3
Gdaddy is always happy to see his grandkids
Wednesday Feb 3
Haden & Aideyn being goofy
Thursday, Feb 4th
Before being taken back for the carotid artery surgery (we were soaking in every minute with him!)
Goofing off in ICU waiting room
| Howdy Partner! Howdy Ma'am! |
Aideyn had fun @ Gmomma's playing with all of our old bath toys
Checking out the newspaper clipping's that my grandmother kept of Heidi and I (she keeps EVERYTHING from the paper and its all in alphabetical order!!)
Friday, Feb 5th
Breakfast in ICU
Grandmother asked him if he could hear the news...
he responded "I don't listen to pretty girls, I just stare at them"
Saturday, Feb 6th
I surprised him with his favorite (SHIPLEY DONUT!!!) and this was the first time he could use both hands...donut in left hand and drinking coffee with right hand. Big day.
I said "granddaddy...isn't it good? you haven't had a donut in nearly a week"
he responded "No man should ever go without a donut that long"
Always quick with his funny responses!
(Wednesday, Feb 10)
I stayed with my grandmother in Vicksburg a lot (and so did Aideyn) She would not let him go to bed with wet hair (bc it makes you sick) ...she insisted and we let her dry it
(Thursday, Feb 11th)
1 week after his carotid artery surgery...he was FINALLY moved from ICU to a regular room. This picture is him cutting up with his occupational therapist!
(Thursday, Feb 11th)
Aideyn and I took early Valentines happies to Gmomma @ the Hardware store
(Sunday Feb 14th)
Quick trip to Vburg to celebrate Valentines @ River Region
My granddaddy always told me what great people Nic's family were and how good of a guy Nic was. He told me how lucky I was to have found Nic and vice versa of course! He was super proud of Nic.
(Monday, Feb 22)
His youngest brother, Glenn came to visit
(Thursday, Feb 25th)
His two wonderful nieces Debbie & Sherry brought joy to the room
Aideyn sleeping w/ Gmomma
Obituary in the paper on Sunday, Feb 28th
Beautiful arrangement on my grandmothers dining table
I have other pictures of him from the visitation but some people might think its weird that I took them. I don't! He always made/took good pics!
Beautiful arrangement from the grandkids
The red heart was something I gave him years ago on Valentines (and my grandmother said he kept it by the bed). He always told us " I love you this much.... " and held his arms super wide. They used it in the arrangement and then I took it home with me=)
His favorite mare mule, "Ole Maude" was on display at the visitation. This was his mule growing up and he talked about it so much, my grandmother hid the picture. We found it before the visitation in his closet=)
Slumber party w/ Aideyn and Haden and grandmothers
Looking thru old pictures
My grandparents used to square dance...we looked through all her dresses
Grandmother made a big breakfast for us
A picture I snapped of Aideyn from Granddaddy's graveside service... it was such a beautiful day ..sun out, birds EVERYWHERE...

No comments:
Post a Comment