The Blessing of Finding Melanoma Early

 Life has a way of surprising us in the most unexpected ways. For me, it was a small mole on my left arm that my husband, Nic, noticed while we were driving down the road. His concern, while initially seeming unnecessary, turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Just 7-8 months prior, I had visited the dermatologist, and nothing unusual was found. So, when Nic pointed out the mole, I thought he was being overly cautious. In fact, I almost canceled the appointment the morning of. Even the physician assistant wasn't particularly worried about the mole but suggested we do a biopsy "so I could sleep better." Little did I know how crucial that decision would be.

Three days later, I received a call asking if I could come in and if someone could accompany me. Those words knocked the breath out of me. Melanoma. A word I never imagined I'd have to worry about. The shock and fear were overwhelming, but two dear friends helped me get in touch with the best surgeon, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Surgery was ten days ago, and while the incision is much larger than I had anticipated, today’s follow-up brought incredible relief: "No residual melanocytic neoplasm identified." It means there’s no remaining cancer. I will wear my scar proudly as a reminder of how precious life is and how important it is to listen to those who care about us.

For the first year, I’ll have follow-up appointments every three months, then every six months, for the next five years. I’m incredibly thankful for Nic's curiosity and concern, which led me to seek medical advice I might have otherwise ignored.

To anyone reading this, consider this your encouragement to MAKE THE APPOINTMENT. Early detection can make all the difference. Listen to your loved ones, trust your instincts, and never underestimate the power of a seemingly small observation. It could save your life, just as it did mine.

No comments: