Monday evening we had a few friends over for dinner. Nic tried out some wonderful new recipes. For appetizers we had fried tomato crostini's, sweet pea crostini's and vidalia onion jam. He did a grilled chicken w/ uncle Barney's Sauce (recipe in the July/August Delta Magazine), Marinated Tomatoes w/ fresh herbs (also Delta mag), garlic mashed potatoes and my FAVORITE salad ever....spinach strawberry pecan salad. This salad is the best thing ever. I could eat one every single night and never get tired of it. The wonderful recipe came out of "Gathering of Friends" vol 1. I didn't have the patience to actually type out the recipes for y'all so here is where you can find them=)......
Nic and I both LOVEEE food so he (not I because I don't like to cook) likes to try new recipes and make up new recipes all the time. He's always tells me how much it means to him that I never complain about the foods he cooks and that I try/eat everything he makes. I mean...I love to eat and if I'm not cooking it myself-why would I complain?! My duty is to set the table-which I LOVE to do and then clean the kitchen after we eat...so spends all day cooking-I set the table and clean...it works nicely.
30 mins before our friends arrived Monday night, one called to say she couldn't make it so.. I decided since we would only have 6 people now-we definitely all needed to sit together. While Nic was cooking, I read through the Delta magazine and had seen where they had several Memorial Day parties with such cute red/white/blue decor so...I figured I would try and throw something together myself. Slightly strange mixing Annieglass with Cassafina (to me, anyways) but its the only red I had and I thought the gold actually was quite festive too.I wish I could have planned sooner and done a cute 4th of July centerpiece but I ran out of time.
Sweet Pea Crosinit's
Fried Tomato & Vidalia Onion Jam Crostini's
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Uncle Barney's Grilled Chicken
Marinated Tomatoes w/ fresh herbs
Spinach Strawberry Pecan Salad w/ homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing
A funny little story I'll leave you with...When Nic and I first started dating, he would cook for me at his apartment-trying to impress me, HE would set the table. A girl he used to date had given him Ducks Unlimited China over the years for Christmas or holidays or something? Her mom owned a a store that sold that stuff so they thought a 20 something yr old guy would like it?! Anyways.... when he set the table for our dinners, he would pull out this "nice china". The meal would go a little something like this....steak, steamed asparagus, some carb and then a salad--these would be served on the plate and/or salad plate. Then to drink-he would pour my wine into the fancy Ducks Unlimited COFFEE MUG. Of course I ate everything he prepared and sipped on my coffee mug of wine but it was so strange to drink wine from a coffee mug. After probably about 3 or so dinners of him doing this-I guess we were more comfortable with each other so I finally asked why I had to drink my wine from a coffee mug and if I could bring wine glasses over for the next meal. Oops..bitch move. He was embarrassed and explained that he just wanted to set the table with all of his nice stuff and those were part of the DU set so he just figured he needed to have them out. Sweet Nic started giving me beautiful Riedel wine glasses every year for Valentines after this--no more drinking from coffee mugs.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Independence Day!
"Freedom is nothing else but a change to be better"
"Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice."










No comments:
Post a Comment