I believe we can't create our destiny but we do decide if we want to follow it or not. We can make our future projection plan in advance but like I'm sure most of you (as I have) have realized....you can't "plan out" your life. And in my case, thankfully so=) Unpredictable things happen that we were unable to see- and guess what...life changes.
Do you think that fate is just a learning curve for people to learn through that particular experience? are things meant to happen or can they be avoided? because if they can be avoided, why then do we still allow things to happen....?
Sometimes I believe that things are meant to happen for a reason, and can't really be changed however much you try- and this I would call.. fate.
Oops...first let me start off with, Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband, Nic! Who would have ever thought that when we met 6 years ago (to the day), that you and I would end up MARRIED?!?!
How fate happened for me=)
I met Nic on his birthday 6 years ago (January 24, 2006). We both had mutual friends that forced us to go out on the particular night and lucky for us...we did! The rest is not just "history" but you have to understand the curves/unexpected life changes that lead us to our "meet".
In December of 2005, I made a huge
He went to MSU for awhile then took a job in Arkansas. Long distance was really hard so I decided I would just move closer to him. My parents had absolute NOTHING to do with this move (and my friends hated the idea too). I drove up there (Jonesboro, AR), met with the admissions office, found a 1 bedroom apartment and had all of my stuff moved to AR during my Christmas break. January 2006, I was officially an ASU student. Still don't know how I pulled off the tuition thing --my parents paid my tuition to MSU and it was applied towards Arkansas State. Weird.
The weekend before classes started, my mom drove up to see me. We decorated my apartment, shopped, learned the town, tried local restaurants (Jonesboro was a dry city at the time-we had to drive 20 mins just to buy a bottle of wine--this put a VERY sour taste in my moms mouth, ha). We had such a wonderful weekend together and I dreaded her leaving.
The Sunday she left, I cried and cried. My mom knows me so well so I guess she could see my uncertainty-all she kept saying before she left was...."this isn't home, Bug". And she was right...it wasn't. Moms ALWAYS know best. This boy wasn't good for me (as my parents preached for YEARS)and Arkansas isn't were I needed to be. After my mom left, I realized, this Arkansas idea was a mistake. I was scared of what everyone would say if I gave up after only 2 weeks. My friends and family begged me not to make the transfer but being hardheaded, I thought I was following my "heart"!
After the first week of classes, I called my dad in tears, begging for him to forgive me for this HUGE mistake and to let me come home. His exact words (after my long sobbing cry) "baby, I would never tell my child they weren't welcomed back home" Basically he told me I was forgiven and definitely welcome to move back to MS but I was NOT moving HOME. He told me I better find a way to get re-enrolled at MSU and he would move my stuff back to Starkville. As for the boy, he had to stay in Arkansas. (Dads know best too!)
To make a LONG story short...I moved home 2 days later-went to Starkville and got enrolled in classes-got a shitty schedule but I was just glad to be back. "That boy" and I finally broke it off- My dad moved me back to Starkville.
As "fate" might have played a roll... On my VERY first night back in Starkville, my girlfriends took me out...we went to The Veranda. This particular night happened to be Nic's 22nd birthday also. He had been at the LA (landscape architecture) building ALL night working on a big thesis and as he says it...his friends MADE him go out for drinks to celebrate.
Fast Forward...
Ironically we both sat down at the same table that night with a group of mutual friends.He kept smiling at me -I certainly wasn't going to speak first. Finally, my friend Jessica introduced us...and thankful she did! Nic and I became "facebook friends" and over the next year, we wrote back and forth, stalked each others pictures, etc (you know...all the beauties of facebook).
Jessica would tell me from time to time "Nic Meeks keeps asking about you." What the hell does that mean? I didn't know what to take of that. I would see him at the gym in the afternoons but he never spoke to me?? WTH!?
Finally in the spring of 07 (our freakin' last year @ State) paths crossed again...
Every week a group of friends and I would go to a local Mexican restaurant for Karaoke. Week after week, we would recruit other friends to come. Two guys in particular (Shelby Ford and Brandon Taylor) became "regulars". One night we all were just talking about our sorority and fraternity friends, etc and the name Nic Meeks came up. I smiled REAL big and said..ya'll should bring him next time. Here I have been hanging out with these guys every week and low and behold, they are BEST FRIENDS with "my crush!" WILD!
Needless to say, Nic finally came to Karaoke one night-ended up getting my number and the texting/phone calls began! When we first started dating, I always asked him why it took him nearly a year 1/2 to "ask me out" and he gave me such a lame excuse, "there was just something about you. I knew you were different than other girls and I knew I would fall hard for you" Whatever the reason, I'm glad our paths FINALLY crossed. Not sure which of us fell harder=)
Watching Karaoke one night -look at his smile..that's what got me, he was/is always smiling=)
Our first date was to Anthony's. Nic picked me up and surprised me with a bottle of my favorite wine. After a few dates like this, I realized, this boy is a romantic! He loves good food and good wine...we shall get along!
So...after graduation, Nic accepted a job in Jackson. He later told me he had better offers in Dallas and Florida but took the Jackson job because of ME ;) What a big sacrifice for such a new relationship!
Several months of dating and the romantic dates continued...I think we tried out every restaurant in Jackson/Ridgeland/Madison area and watched nearly every movie that came out!
I can truely say I. AM. BLESSED. Nic still amazes me every day. If someone would have asked me "what I wanted in a husband"-I never would imagine that one guy could convey so many wonderful traits.
Things I adore about him...
Nic is an extrememly hard worker
He is ambitious
He loves to cook (and is wonderful at it!)
He is extremely intelligent ...he can carry on a conversation with anyone regarding topics of history, geography, architecture, cooking, etc. I am amazed just listening to him, I know NOTHING about these things!
He puts me first, always.
He is patient-this is something I'm not.
He is a thoughtful romantic.
But the most important of all.. HE ADORES ME. He reassures me of this everyday.
Nic and I have so many similarities but still learn from each other all the time. I am so thankful that I made the mistakes I did because I was definitely lead down a better road.
A friend told me once (while trying to convince me the "ex" was not a good guy for me) "why settle for good when you can have GREAT"... she couldn't have said it better. (thank you Amanda!!)
I found this the other day and its so true...
"I have learned to listen to my heart. I have learned that if you never make room for better things and better ways to be, if you never clear out the things in your life that stand in the way of your happiness, then you are not aligning your universe to allow for amazing things. In this life, you don’t find yourself. You create yourself. And the same goes for love: you don’t find love, you create a road for love to travel and wait for it to come.”
I found my "great" in that college crush...Mr. Nic Meeks!






1 comment:
PRECIOUS!!! How cute are yall?
Post a Comment